Monday, June 25, 2012

Suzette the incongruous

So yesterday I still had an urge to do a neutral/monotone figurative piece (with a splash of red somewhere). I spent some time prepping a new cradled wood panel but in between sanding and texturing, I decided to work on another figurative piece. I was browsing through a photography source book, when I came across a photo of a woman with this wild spiky hair. My painting is not a copy of the photograph, it is a “remembered” vision of it. I looked at it for a while, did a light outline in crayon on the paper for composition, then did not look at the photograph until I had finished. I have no clue what to call this one (I was even toying with the idea of using “Untitled” for the first time in my painting career!), but on the TV this morning while I was getting ready for work, I heard the name “Suzette” which is such a beautiful name. I know this name doesn’t go with this figure, but somehow her hair and expression  don’t go with anything either, everything seems rather incongruous… Anyway, here she is, “Suzette the incongruous”:

Suzette the incongruous
12" x 12", acrylic on paper

Below is the photograph that I saw and painted from “memory”. See! Her hair really was that crazy!!


I think it’s time to get back to those abstracts!


No comments: