Monday, June 16, 2008

Practice Makes Imperfect

I experimented with a different textural base on this piece, overlaying self-leveling clear gel on top of light molding paste, which created a slicker surface texture than the light molding paste alone. It allowed the paint to be easliy pushed across the surface and yet it offered better resistance than "regular" weight or "heavy" molding paste. This is not a theme that I would normally pursue, but I had seen some work by a wonderful artist who does beautiful, ethereal paintings in encaustic and oils and I felt inspired to try my own version in acrylic. I utilized some older techniques that I don't use much now and was excited by some of the accidents that happened. I just wish I had better control over the accidents, resulting in a better composition.



Small Botanical Study, 12" x 12", acrylic on canvas, 2008

No comments: