Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fond Memory

Just sold from the Guild.com, Rapport is one of my favorite paintings. Not only did it turn out to my liking, but it is what I call a "magic painting." I remember its creation fondly. It was effortless, almost painting itself. It was spontaneous, there was no hesitation, no conflict, no wondering "where to take it." One minute it was a blank canvas and seemingly the next it was a completed painting. Like magic.



Unfortunately, magic paintings are rare. Right now I find myself fighting with tiny canvas panels during practice. I am spending more time preparing canvases than actually painting them. Sometimes I think I should do something else completely. Maybe I wasn't really born to do this. Some say I just need a break (from what? I'm not actually painting), others say it's just a block, it will pass or I have to work through it or whatever. Frankly, I am starting to doubt that it will pass even if I work on it. But I keep trying, painting really bad paintings and attempting to resolve the frustration that results.

Rapport was painted back in 2005, during a time when I was good. Right now it is on its way to Florida. Meanwhile, I have to get back to the studio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it. I espeically like the little aramesque-style symbol in the upper-right quandrant.

MORE FIGURATIVE WORK! :-)