Monday, July 2, 2012

Onscene Artists

More pieces that slipped through the blog…

After I started painting again back in February and before I started posting my new paintings on the blog, I did a couple of pieces for Onscene Artists. This is the thing that got me back into painting again. A friend of mine had recommended me and my art to her sister-in-law who was starting up a website that was to be a new venue for artists, both established and emerging. I met with the founder of Onscene Artists to show her my work and she was enthusiastic to include me in their next series which was entitled “Reveal”. This series was intended to reveal something about the artist through the works they submitted. I did a couple of paintings especially for it and the series went live in late May.

Time to Spend
12" x 12", acrylic and paper collage on canvas panel
The painting above is my favorite, “revealing” that I sometimes watch the shopping channels in the middle of the night when my insomnia kicks in. It’s rather mind-numbing programming that somehow lulls me back to sleep with the constant chitter-chatter.

Different Paths 2012
20" x 20", acrylic on canvas
Different Paths was originally a small painting on paper that I sold on eBay in 2006. I loved the original, it was so raw and imperfect. Somehow in translating it to a larger canvas, it tightened up quite a bit, lost its looseness and looks more like an illustration. For what it’s worth, this painting “reveals” that I sometimes wonder where my life would be today had I made some different choices along the way. It’s a simple pondering, without longing or regret.

I was somewhat disappointed in “Reveal” in that most of the other artists who also participated in the series simply used their Artist’s Statement which, in my humble opinion, did not “reveal” anything about them personally. Perhaps I simply misunderstood the guidelines, but what‘s the point of having a theme if everyone just submits anything as long as their statement justifies it?

Both of these paintings can be seen and purchased at Onscene Artists through August: onsceneartists.com

No comments: