Saturday, October 25, 2008

A 3-hour Painting

Lately I’ve have had the urge to do some figurative work, so Thursday evening I decided to do a quick painting, mentally limiting myself to spending only three hours on it altogether. The idea was to have fun with the painting and work as quickly as I could. The first evening I spent one hour on it. The first image shows where I was at about fifteen minutes, then I let that dry a wile and went back to it later and spent another 45. That’s when I took the second image. Didn’t look like much was happening, but I know that the exciting stuff starts to happen about two hours in.




The next image shows where I was at after spending another hour on it last night. Now she is starting to take shape. I was consciously trying to stay loose, not getting too hung up on the details and letting myself be okay with the brush strokes showing.



This last image is where I was after spending another hour (and a half, I guess I’m cheating a little here). Now she has really come together, but in some areas I’ve worked it a bit hard, smoothing out the face and losing the brushwork effect. In truth, this painting could use more work, the background is quite nebulous. It could be worked further but I am posting it as is. Maybe I’ll go back and work on it some more but for right now, here is my latest painting, Girl in a Hat, 14” x 18”, acrylic on canvas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's like Laura Croft, only she's stopped all of her adventuring on account of clinical depression, and the prozac just isn't doing it for her anymore, so she's finally ventured into the jungle (hence all the green). VERY nice piece. And so fast!