Monday, May 21, 2007

Back to the Sketchbook

And so one thing I started to do about my painter’s block is to take the pressure off a bit.

Not this past Sunday, but the Sunday before, I sketched. This was a day when I would normally expect myself to paint all day. Instead, I told myself that I could have the “day off”. To do whatever I would like. Yes, I played on my computer, looking at website designs and art. And then I felt the “stirring”. But rather than paint, I worked in the sketchbook and just let myself be okay with that. I sketched something from a printed promo piece, I re-sketched something I pulled out of my sketchbook from three years ago, I sketched ideas that were just inside my head inspired from an illustrator’s website and a photographer’s site I had passed by during the day.


Not great stuff, but I had fun and it made me feel like an artist, something that had been eluding me since I was not in the studio much.

No comments: